Thursday 1 March 2018

March 2018 – Letter from the President

Dear reader,

Business Rates are dominating my Presidential year, with continued calls for reform from ratepayers. This is likely to be fuelled by the bills for 2018/19, with some facing large increases and others not receiving their gains following last year’s revaluation. The renamed Department of Housing, Communities and Local Government (DHCLG) is still working on rating reform and I have recently attended a meeting of the System Design Working Group at the Department.  The main topic this time was the contents of the Central Rating List.

My first official event of 2018 was the Chartered Institution of Taxation President’s Luncheon held in the Drapers’ Hall, in the heart of the City of London. This provided an interesting networking opportunity with related organisations in very historic surroundings.

Unfortunately, having agreed to do a joint presentation with my wife at the London and Home Counties Association later that week, Carla-Maria and I had to cancel as a result of family illness which took us away from London. 

Next up was a meeting at IRRV HQ to discuss the arrangements for the 2018 Performance Awards. The scheme continues to attract high quality entries and I look forward to presenting this year’s awards in October.

I was pleased to support my home Association at the London and Home Counties Annual Quiz.  This has the format of a pub quiz, not least because it is held in a pub! My thanks go to the organisers of this fun event and congratulations to the team from Tower Hamlets, who won …. yet again!  As for the President’s team, well, we didn’t come last.

The following Monday, I chaired the January meeting of the IRRV Council.  The main issues included agreeing the draft budget for 2018, following a good outturn for 2017, and moving our strategy review forward.

February began with the IRRV West Midlands Association’s Annual Dinner at the Bromsgrove Hotel and Spa. The venue was excellent and my thanks go to their President Neil Jinks for inviting Carla-Maria and myself.  The organising committee of Jan Evans, Andrew Ludwig and Barry Powell did a great job. 

I now look forward to a busy few months visiting IRRV Associations, as well as representing the Institute at various meetings and conferences.

Yours, 

Gordon

Gordon Heath BSc IRRV (Hons) is President of the Institute

Presidential handover at IRRV Annual Conference

At the IRRV Annual Conference in Telford last week, Gordon handed over IRRV presidential responsibilities to Louise Freeth, after a very bu...