Thursday 3 May 2018

May 2018 – Letter from the President

Friends old and new take precedence this month, as Gordon Heath’s tour of duty is well under way :

Dear reader,

It is an important part of the IRRV President’s duties to represent and promote a positive image of the Institute at every opportunity, both to our members and to other organisations.  I welcome this opportunity - even if March was rather full of events.

A brief visit to Scotland on 2nd March was cancelled because the snow brought all the transport to a halt.  Fortunately, my next event was the IRRV London and Home Counties Association Dinner, which is my home Association.  Once again the event was held in the splendid surroundings of the Innholders’ Livery Hall.  I congratulate the organiser, Chris Grose, for arranging such a splendid menu with matching wines. And once again the Chef, Herbert Berger, who has won Michelin stars three times, really excelled himself.  I recommend this event to all IRRV members and I am grateful to the Executive Committee for their invitation.

The following week, David Magor and I enjoyed the Association of Accounting Technicians annual lunch at the Clothworkers’ Hall. The following evening, I was at Lord’s Cricket Ground for the annual dinner of the Society of London Treasurers, where I was pleased to be seated with three people that I knew.

The next morning was the start of another late wintery weekend, as we drove to Haydock for the IRRV Lancashire and Cheshire Association dinner dance.  It was of course well worth the drive and I was pleased to see a large turnout for the event.  It is always a pleasure to visit the Lancashire and Cheshire Association, because they are a very lively and active Association.  My thanks go to their President, Julie Smethurst, and her Executive Committee, for inviting Carla-Maria and I to their event.  It was also a very nice touch to leave such a splendid bunch of flowers in our room.

The following week brought three more events, starting with the Association of Taxation Technicians President’s reception in the Churchill War Rooms.  It is a really interesting place to visit, although there is not much time after meeting friends both old and new and the brief speeches.

Next day was lunch at the Lansdowne Club for Past Presidents and Honorary Members of the Rating Surveyors’ Association, and I of course fall into the latter category. 

Finally, on Friday of that week I was hosting the IRRV Presidents’ Lunch at the Goring Hotel in London.  I am pleased that we had a good response, with Presidents from many professional bodies and other organisations attending.  I was pleased to receive a gift of a framed photograph of myself and my wife taken at a previous TEGoVA conference, from Brian Dempsey of the Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers in Ireland. I now recognise and have started to get to know the Presidents of many of the related professional bodies!  I was also pleased to welcome Mr Justice Holgate, President of the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber), Gary Garland, President of the Valuation Tribunal for England and Councillor Sue Baxter, Chairman of the National Association of Local Councils, to name a few.

Yours, 

Gordon

Gordon Heath BSc IRRV (Hons) is President of the Institute

Presidential handover at IRRV Annual Conference

At the IRRV Annual Conference in Telford last week, Gordon handed over IRRV presidential responsibilities to Louise Freeth, after a very bu...